The Clamour of Silence

Sitting inside the room still and unmoving clinging on to books preparing for the elusive perfection to answer with precision to something that is inherently chaotic, sometimes random and utterly perplexing, I am thinking... Thinking hard 'mind you' to understand how a family of indifference curves describe my preferences, how the market behaves and signals to keep off the low productive workforce, and how I have discovered fortunately or unfortunately that I belong to a class of low productive workers(output/input ratio hinges on the other side of zero). Among all this I sit inside my room silent and still 'slowly and slowly' giving up the future course of my actions in the hands of fate.
But 'mind you' this stillness starts speaking, I start listening to my own head, after a really long time. It aches for freedom, freedom not to think about competition or stress but of being myself and appreciating things, freedom of sitting in this wonderful place with a mug of hot soup and a book to amuse myself, freedom to visit the beach again and give myself to the waves of the sea.
I sit inside my room silent and still but the silence speaks to me in a hundred voices - the financial markets crumbling like a pack of cards, the next paper to come, the blasts in the other part of the country. The silence is then broken by a bang on the door, a call for lunch by a friend, and I happily go amidst activity again. But I am thinking.... preoccupying myself with this clamour of silence.

"Man goes into the noisy crowd to drown his own clamour of silence."
‘Stray Birds’ (1916) Rabindranath Tagore

4 comments:

Harshad said...

Dude... brilliant post! Says all that I felt during the exam week!

Write more often, man... would be great to read more.

kt said...

"Thinking hard 'mind you' to understand how a family of indifference curves describe my preferences"

:)
so did u eventually figure that out??

Pallav said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pallav said...

@ kt
Arslan "the one one bitten by the love bug" helped a lot, along with Shivam and Nikhil.

@hk
Thanks man for the kind words.

About Me

My photo
Just another cog in the wheel...

My Blog List

  • Yes, i am hurt. very, very deeply - Great stories are building up to something, some sort of a finale. The finale might come in the end or even in the middle sometimes or several times throug...
    3 years ago
  • Checkmate! - To battle is ingrained in the very DNA of life. From the smallest microorganisms to the largest mammals, to the multitudes of marine creatures to avian lif...
    11 years ago
  • The Magic of Being Your Natural Self - *This is a rant of an idealist, set in a very specific B-School Context in India.* With the placements season going on in business schools, the general a...
    14 years ago